Please join us for the first annual Treasure Valley Adjunct Conference (TVAC) celebrating the scholarship and innovative teaching practices of adjunct faculty throughout the valley. The conference is a collaboration between Boise State, the College of Western Idaho and Northwest Nazarene University and will take place on the campus of Boise State University (Student Union Building) on May 15 from 8:30 AM – 1:00 PM. This conference is free, and open to all adjunct faculty in the Treasure Valley, as well as anyone interested in learning about supporting adjunct faculty and their work.
8:30 AM – 9:00 AM: Welcome Session, Hatch Ballroom
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM: Breakout sessions
9:00 AM – 9:50 AM:
- Jesse Buchholz, Courtney Colby Bond, & Teresa Focarile: Supporting Adjunct Faculty Success- An Administrative Perspective
- Dave O’Leary: “Nation of Drake” Teaching Example
- Lance Curtis: Flipping Boring into Fun- How the Flipped Classroom Model Can Engage Students in Statistics and Other “Dull” Courses
- Bernice Olivas: Recognition, Representation, and Reinvestment- Reimagining the 3R’s through a TRIO Lens to Better Support First Generation Students
10:00 AM – 10:50 AM:
- Ryan Hulbert: Incentivizing Student Preparation Before Class to Maximize Participation in Class
- Karen Wadley: Increasing Student Engagement Using Digital Means
- Anna Lee: The Graphic Syllabus as a Tool for Innovating Teaching and Learning
- Corinna Provant-Robinshaw: Mission “Possible” Instructional Design- Creating Rich, Interactive, Full Online Courses
11:00 AM – 11:50 AM:
- Stephanie Barham: Smartphones and the Classroom
- Gary Heller: Using a Course as a Bridge to Mentoring Students
- John Herrick: Getting Students to Read the Assignment Using Non-Instructional Interventions
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM: Plenary Session
- Michal Yadlin: Adjunct Life- A Delicate Juggling Act
Parking information: Free parking is available for this event. Information about parking will be sent to registrants prior to the conference.
Boise State University, the College of Western Idaho, and Northwest Nazarene University are partnering to present the Treasure Valley Adjunct Conference (TVAC). The coordinators of the event invite adjunct faculty from across the Treasure Valley to submit a proposal for this peer-reviewed conference spotlighting adjunct faculty. We seek proposals that highlight the quality of adjunct faculty scholarship and use of innovative teaching practices.
The conference will take place on May 15, 2017 from 8:30 AM – 1 PM on the campus of Boise State University.
Teaching and Learning Presentations: We encourage submissions from Treasure Valley adjunct faculty on any topic related to their use of innovative teaching and learning practices in the classroom. These can involve descriptions of teaching innovations, research on teaching and learning, interactive workshops, panels, roundtable discussions, etc. Presenters are encouraged, but not required, to make their sessions interactive (e.g., hands-on activities, discussions, reflections, demonstrations). Presentations will be 50 minutes in length and can be led by an individual or teams.
Disciplinary Research and Creative Activity Presentations: A goal of the conference is to provide a space for Treasure Valley adjunct faculty to share their disciplinary scholarship and creative activity with their colleagues, emphasizing the role of adjuncts beyond classroom teaching. We encourage submissions on any academic topic being researched by adjunct faculty members in any field of study. These might involve scholarly papers, original scientific research, studies, etc. We also encourage submissions by adjunct faculty in creative disciplines of their original creative work. This might include performances, readings, and visual presentations. Presentations will be 50 minutes in length and can be led by an individual or teams.
To submit a proposal for the conference, please complete the Google Form found at this link: https://goo.gl/forms/Wb98YobIb3k0ULFr1
Deadline: The deadline for proposal submission is March 3rd at 5 PM.
Questions: Please contact the TVAC coordinators with any questions by emailing email@example.com.
Be sure to look back for future information regarding registering for this event!