The Center for Teaching and Learning is the nucleus of a university culture that values teaching and learning. The center is a resource for all instructors who care about the learning environment they create for students. It fosters dialogue, scholarship, innovation, and excellence in learner-centered teaching. The center promotes superior teaching and scholarship that mutually enhance one another for the benefit of students, faculty, and the community.
The CTL is the umbrella department encompassing two additional campus units: the Service-Learning Program, and The IDEA Shop. The Mission of the Center for Teaching and Learning is to support, promote, and enhance teaching effectiveness and to facilitate engagement in student learning.
To accomplish this mission, the Center provides consultation, resources, and programs to:
- Provide university-wide leadership and coordination of activities aimed at supporting excellence in teaching.
- Nurture a culture of commitment to student learning, stimulate dialogue and reflection about teaching, and foster a sense of community among faculty.
- Promote research-based best teaching practices; support the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Provide direct support to instructors in course planning and pedagogical development, including the integration of service-learning and technology.
- Assist academic programs in curriculum development and improvement.
- Communicate the importance of teaching and learning to both internal and external audiences; promote policies to support and reward high quality teaching.