Welcome to the Graduate Certificate in College Teaching! We’re glad that you are interested in applying for the certificate. Applications are due October 1 of each year. The following information may be helpful to you:
- The admissions requirements are provided on the program’s Graduate College site.
- You need to include a personal statement describing your interest in the program, any previous teaching experiences, and your professional goals. Include in the statement how the program would benefit your current or future teaching. Your personal statement should also specify which track you would like to pursue (i.e., the teaching track or the pedagogy track). You can learn more about the two tracks here.
- You also need to include a proposal regarding the possible course(s) you would like to teach as part of GCOLL 514 (teaching two weeks), GCOLL 512 (co-teaching a course), or GCOLL 513 (full course responsibility). Learn more about the teaching requirement here.
- You need to submit a recent example of writing that best captures your writing style. This should be a piece of academic writing.
- You are required to have a minimum of two letters of recommendation from individuals who can speak to your potential as a college teacher. In particular, they should address your (a) communication skills, (b) organization skills, (c) time management, and (d) the clarity of your presentations.
- If applying for the teaching track, please include a letter from the department chair saying that they will support your teaching in the department.
For additional information, contact the program coordinator.