Applications for Spring 2019 are now open. The last day for a MAP request will be February 8th.
What is a MAP?
A mid-semester assessment is a process that allows the instructor to assess his/her teaching and gauge how and what students are learning in a particular course. Typically a MAP occurs between weeks 5 and 9 of the semester. A CTL consultant comes to the classroom and, in an anonymous process, the CTL consultant collects students’ thoughts and feedback about the progression of the course. Within a few days after the MAP the CTL consultant meets with the instructor to go over the results of the MAP and supports the instructor to think about ways they may make changes to the teaching and learning that takes place in their classroom.
PLEASE NOTE: Because of high demand for MAPS, the request form may close earlier than listed. Additionally, the CTL requests that each faculty member choose only one course per semester to be involved in a MAP. (You are, of course, welcome to come back next semester for a different course!)
How to schedule a MAP
- To schedule a face-to-face MAP please complete the MAP Request Form.
- To schedule a MAP for a full online course please visit Mid-Semester Assessment Process (MAP) for Online Courses.
NOTE: The CTL will accommodate MAP requests for summer and intersession courses depending on staff availability. To request a MAP for a summer or intercession course please email the CTL at email@example.com.
How to prepare students for a MAP
Preparation for a MAP is simple. When students know why they are doing something, they are more likely to do it better. Therefore we recommend the instructor share the following information with their students at the beginning of class on the day of the MAP:
- Inform the students that a consultant from the CTL will be coming for the last 30 minutes of class and will be asking a series of questions to get feedback about how the course is progressing.
- Student responses are anonymous and their participation is encouraged
- Let them know you have requested this service from the CTL and you value their input.
During a MAP, the CTL consultant guides the students through a discussion based on the following questions:
- What about this course and its instruction foster your learning?
- What could change in order to enhance your learning?
- What specific changes would you suggest that would improve your learning in this course?
The CTL is happy to work with individual faculty to have students discuss different questions or have the MAP focused in a particular way (e.g. new active learning technique, change in class format, etc.). Any specific queries should be shared with the CTL at the time the MAP is requested.
Interested in a self-conducted MAP?
Use this zip file and instructions link to import, modify, and deploy a Blackboard administered MAP. To review your results and explore ways to make changes to your course with the support of a CTL consultant, email the Center for Teaching and Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org.