SOTL is scholarly inquiry into student learning which advances the practice of teaching by sharing this research publicly. It involves
- Asking questions about student learning and the teaching activities designed to promote student learning . The goal of improving one’s teaching practice is implicit.
- Systematically collecting and analyzing evidence of student learning in order to address one’s questions about student learning, and
- Sharing results in order to invite review and to contribute to the body of knowledge on student learning in a variety of contexts.
The SoTL process:
- Generating questions about student learning
- Gathering and using evidence of student learning
- Sharing Results